I hope you all had a good weekend! If you haven’t gotten a chance, head over to Maren’s Morsels and read my guest post for her yesterday!
As I said yesterday, I pretty much worked all weekend at the golf course and at the gym…the joy of having two part time jobs! My workouts this weekend did include:
- Friday: 10 mile bike ride and strength circuit from Tone It Up
- Saturday: 2.5 mile run before work and an evening bike ride with the Arms, and Abs circuit from my Beach Babe DVD last night.
- Sunday: 14 mile fast paced bike ride and decided it would be “fun” to run a mile after to see how fast I could do it…9:09..my legs felt like jello!
Over the weekend I was thinking about how awesome workout DVD’s can be in order to get a good sweat in. I thought it would be a good idea to talk about my favorite ones that I rotate through to get my daily sweat on! I know some people hate them or don’t’ stick with them, but I think fitness DVD’s are an EXCELLENT resource to use at home! They are so great when you’re short on time or for anyone to get their needed exercise for the day. Some people don’t like the gym…some people can’t afford the gym! I know his firsthand that gyms can be VERY expensive! I am lucky to work at a gym for a free membership, otherwise if I was paying on my own, (at this point in my life), I might have to nix the gym all together. However, I wouldn’t be THAT upset about this, except for missing Body Pump Class, because I know that I can get a great workout while staying around my house!
I really don’t live that close to the gym that I work at to want to drive into the gym on my days off (hello, gas prices!) from there, so popping in a DVD and getting my good old cardio outside is my perfect day. Here are my top ones that I enjoy regularly:
1. Beach Babe DVD by Tone It Up
This DVD Rocks! Seriously- There are 6 workouts and a stretch session. They’re all different so you can piece them together to do what kind of workout you want to for the day!
- Surfer Girl Workout (about 20 minutes, some plyometric and strength moves)
- HIIT the Beach (Hight Intensity Interval Traning, 20 mins- My favorite!)
- Body Sculpt (Strength Circuit- the longest workout around 40 minutes)
- Bikini Abs
- Summer Arms
- Bikini Booty
- Long & Lean Routine
The downside is that this DVD cost me about $35 dollar with shipping, however, with the amount of workouts and what you get out of it- I believe it was worth it!
2. Jillian Michaels- 30 Day Shred
This is one of the first DVD’s I really really liked using at home! It has 3 different level workouts and they are all created like circuits using Jillian’s 3-2-1 method: 3 minutes of strength, 2 minutes of cardio, 1 minute of abs. These ones are fast paced which I love because it goes by so quick and I am really sweating by the end; and it’s only about 25 minutes! Plus it’s about $10 at Target! STEAL!
3. Jillian Michaels- Ripped in 30
This DVD is one I just bought this spring and also really enjoy because it has 4 different workouts! and this DVD was also only $10 at Target! That’s some excellent value right there! This DVD is also in the 3-2-1 method. Definitely a killer workout! She never uses the same thing twice in any of the circuits which keeps in interesting.
4. Jillian Michaels- Yoga Meltdown
I think you’re starting to see a pattern here, no? Yes, I love Jillian’s workouts! They’re awesome and they’re always different- AND they’re cheap AND effective! I am not a “yogi” per say so I enjoy this because Jillian isn’t really either and so this tape is more of a power yoga kinda of tape, so their is still some strength moves, but with some stretching too! Also it’s 2 half hour level classes and this is about all the time I can handle of yoga in one day
Okay- so I hope from all these you realize that you can work out, at home, CHEAP! What do you need for any of these workouts?
- Hand weights-3lb-5lb weights are fine for most cause they’re more high reps (especially Beach Babe- trust me), but sometimes I use 8′s and 10′s for more stable moves like dead lifts.
- Yoga Mat - I find cheap ones at TJ Maxx and Marshalls
- Room to move around!